Sunday, December 6, 2009

Thoughts on my trip part 2

The trip was great:

We played Loaded Questions. My favorite response came from my mother to a question about what she'd name a song about her true love. She put:

A guitar, a wit and a lot of crazy dreams.

This was hard to guess because I thought that this was one of those jokes where it sounds like you're gonna put a swear word to make it rhyme, but then you don't (read it like "A guitar, a wit and a lot of crazy . . .uh . . . dreams"). Of course, this didn't even occur to my mother (whom I can't even recall ever having sworn). If it had been my turn to guess, I'd have missed it for sure.

Loaded questions also lets one appreciate (read: be jealous of) the wit and intelligence of my 10-year-old sister. When asked with whom she'd like to have a photograph she responds "Well, not with any celebrities or family members because I already have so many of those. . . Ha Ha." When asked to name her autobiography, she puts "[insert my name here]: Shocking a panicked nation." During a game of loaded questions years ago, when asked what she'd say on her last day on the air at a radio station she put "I'm not wearing pants." I don't think I was writing stuff like that when I was 10 (or even now sometimes).

Same thing with the little facts she knows. During a discussion of political offices, she cites Jesse Ventura as an example of a governor. I didn't hear about Jesse Ventura until I was 15 (when he was elected governor of Minnesota, naturally. . . ha ha). Still, it's a little intimidating when the same small pieces of political trivia that I know (and on which I can barely elaborate--I mean, governor, Navy SEAL, wrestler--that's basically EVERYTHING I know about Ventura) are shared by my sister who was an infant when he was elected (though, I don't think she was able to elaborate past governor--so maybe I haven't entirely wasted the 15 year head start I have on her).



My sleeping arrangements were odd, but comfortable enough: Instead of a sheet, I had a table cloth. Instead of a blanket I had a towel. I mean, it was by far the biggest towel I've ever seen--big enough to be a blanket, I guess. Still, it is not often that there are no extra blankets, but there are extra 5'x7' towels handy.

The only thing I can really complain about (I'm not complaining, I'm just saying if I were to complain, this would top the list) is that the air mattress slowly deflated during the night until my butt sank and I was more sitting than lying. It eventually becomes so uncomfortable that it would wake me up and I'd let most of the rest of the air out so I could support my body on the floor. This happened twice. It wasn't too bad: At the beginning of the night and at the end after I released the air, it was perfectly comfortable.



I thought of a great, mildly-inspiring metaphor:

If you want to go through a door, but you can't figure out how to unlock it, just start walking forward. You might find out that you were RoboCop all along and that you never needed to unlock the door in the first place.

No comments: