Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Port Wine Stain or a Sad Day for America

The other night as I socialized with some of my peers, I raised the question as to whether I or Mikhail Gorbachev was better looking. Their response was appalling.

It would have been understandable (though ego-shattering) if they had responded that there was no contest and that Gorbachev was clearly better-looking. Failing to note that Mr. Gorbachev and I share the same rare skin condition was also something that could be expected. Even though my choice of persons to whom to compare myself probably seemed a little bit non-sequitur to a person unfamiliar with port wine stains, I concede that port wine stains are uncommon and do not pose any serious threat to one's health and thus can't be expected to occupy much of a place within one's cognizance of problems in the world. Even if they couldn't really remember what Mr. Gorbachev looked like, I suppose it would have been alright.

But it wasn't this. You see, they didn't even know who Mr. Gorbachev was.

No comments: